695 Elmwood Avenue
Buffalo, NY 14222
(716) 885-2136

Our Sanctuary

Our sanctuary is featured in the picture at the top of each page on this website. Its style, "English Country Gothic," is much like the buildings the Plymouth Pilgrims worshipped in before they had to flee religious oppression in England (the congregation of the Pilgrims became Unitarian in 1801 and this congregation was founded by descendents of the Mayflower Pilgrims). Our sanctuary and building was completed in 1906. The land was donated by John A. Albright. In 1908, Col. Charles Clifton paid the remaining twenty-five thousand dollars of the mortgage on the church building on the condition that the pews would be forever free (in the 19th Century we paid our bills through "pew rentals." Today we receive free-will contributions, usually pledged in advance by members and supporters of our church).